Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mondayitis

Hello all
Yes, its Monday again. Back to work after a relaxing weekend. I work in a prison in
country Victoria. I have worked there for nearly 8 years and it is never boring. I started out as a correctional officer and now work in the area of training and supporting staff to do their jobs more effectively. I enjoy the variety the job provides, the entertaining characters I get to meet and work with ( staff and inmates). Today was spent running around chasing people up for meetings, following up on paperwork, advising prisoners and staff on various issues and entering data onto the computer. I have training with the staff next week, so I am also putting together the session I am to present, including a powerpoint presentation. It is all coming together very nicely.
The staff at the prison are like a great big family. Everyone is so supportive of each other. Of course we all have our moments, but when the chips are down, we are all there for each other.
I came to work there after many years in hospitality and retail, interspersed with raising my family. Although it can be frustrating at times, I really do love it. I don't know whether we are making any difference to anyone's lives, but I like to think we are at least trying. It has certainly changed my life. I am a much more confident person than I was before; much more likely to speak my mind and be assertive. I am comfortable standing in front of a large group of people and speaking, I have learnt to communicate more effectively, and my people management skills have improved. I have recently completed Certificate 4 in Workplace Trainer and Assessor, so I have another string in my bow.
What will tomorrow bring? Who knows? Probably more of the same, but that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment